Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Get Outta My Head: Micro LED TV




Samsung's Micro LED (Modular) TV

I'm not going to say, "I told you so", because I am just grateful that such a thing came into being.  It was going to happen eventually, and it only took 22 years.  Granted, the concept in it's physical format is real -- expensive, but I am certain that it will come down in price to the point where the cost is negligible.

History


Back in the mid-90's when I was first in College at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, Hitachi and Sony both approached the school with a proposal and grant money.  The sum was on the order of $5,000,000 if some engineering group could figure out how solve the problem of air bubbles in the Liquid Crystal Display forming process.   No one at the school developed a viable solution, to my knowledge, but it got me thinking about the future of display technology. 

I designed the first concept of what I was certain would be possible in 2000 when I began my elective courses in Electrical and Materials Engineering.  By the end of 2002 my thesis stated that it was possible to develop a circuit to control the electroplating of organic polymers onto silicon (the early days of OLED).  This tech concept led me to postulate on what would eventually become what the MicroLED TV is today.

Idea


The scope of the idea that I had was that at some future point, we would have modular screens all over our homes and that if one module broke, it could be easily replaced with a trip to the corner market. People would pick them up or replace them as needed, not as a full piece of equipment.  The modularity would allow consumers to use anywhere from one to hundreds and swap them in and out of whatever unit they wanted at the time.

If anything, even if know one every recognizes me for having the forethought, just the mere fact that a 20+ year-old prediction came to fruition is enough for me


No comments:

Post a Comment